XBert CONNECT's Template Tasks standardise your processes and ensure consistency of your service offering across your client organisations or linked organisations. Along with other workflow management features like your Process Status, Team View and XBerts & Tasks dashboards, filters and Reporting Period Selector, you can track what needs to be done by when and monitor team workload.
For better workflow management and consistency, when you create a task in XBert CONNECT you allocate it to a Process that you've set up. You can also automatically map XBerts (risk alerts) to a Process. To learn more, please read Setting up processes and automating XBert mapping in XBert CONNECT
Why use Template Tasks?
There are many advantages to adopting a standardised approach. You have a clear and defined service offering, reduce complexity for your team and clients, utilise automated checks and audits to reduce errors and wasteful jobs, have better workflow management and visibility, and have a solid foundation to deal with any changes and disruption.
Set up your common workflows as Processes in XBert CONNECT and include Template Tasks, then track and manage workflow using your Process Status dashboard. Your different services can be turned into Template Tasks with subtasks for the many jobs that form the overall workflow.
Template Tasks can include checklists, workflow steps, requests from clients and agreed communications, client and staff onboarding and more. You can set Template Tasks to occur once only, or recur weekly, monthly, quarterly or as required.
If you are a bookkeeping or accounting practice, you may offer services like Payroll, Superannuation, Accounts Receivable and Payable, Business Activity Statement (BAS) lodgement, Taxable Payment Annual Reporting (TPAR) or End Of Financial Year (EOFY) preparation. The frequency of services often varies depending on the client.
Creating a Template Task
To create a Template Task, or parent task, go to TEMPLATES from the CONNECT navigation menu and choose + NEW TEMPLATE.
- If the order that work is completed is important, you can create Template Tasks for the series of steps needed for a service workflow. If relevant, select the Step Number, and give the Template Task a title, e.g e.g Quarterly Tax Checklist or Month End Preparation and check the box, Create Task as a Template.
- Decide which client organisations you want to assign the task to or choose, Select all clients. This assigned task, or child task, will appear in each selected organisation on the XBERTS & TASKS dashboard within the associated Client Console.
- Include a link to a related accounting software entry or other web page and add a description if you like.
- Add any subtasks that form this overall workflow.
- By default, child tasks are assigned to that client or organisation's manager. However, if you assign the Template Task to a CONNECT team member, they will be assigned the child tasks across all clients or organisations.
- Template Tasks can only be assigned to CONNECT team members until they appear as child tasks within the organisation's Client Console, then the Client Manager can assign the task to another team member or the client to complete.
- Allocate the Template Task to a Process that relates to the service offering or workflow.
- Choose a start date for the task. This date is when the child task will appear on the Client Console's XBERTS & TASKS board.
- If it’s a recurring task, select the frequency the task should recur. Choose an end date if applicable or choose how many times the task should repeat.
- Set the due date which is the number of days after the start date or period the task is due for completion.
- Save the Template Task. Child tasks, indicating they have been created by a TEMPLATE TASK, will appear in assigned organisations’ XBERTS & TASKS board.
Editing Template Tasks
- Editing a Template Task (parent task) at the top level, i.e. within XBert CONNECT, it will edit and update all corresponding tasks within organisations (child tasks). However, recurring tasks will have new child tasks created within organisations and existing tasks created from the previous version of the Template Task will be locked.
- For any recurring tasks you will see a message, This recurring task has now been locked, to edit this task please go to the latest version of this task, plus a link to the newly created child task from the updated Template task. You can now file the older, locked child task. This ensures you are always working according to the most up-to-date process.
- To edit a child task in an organisation, you first need to unlink the task from the parent Template Task. Once unlinked, this task will not be updated when changes are made to the Template Task. Also, any edits made here will not update the Template Task.
To learn how you can use Template Tasks along with other XBert CONNECT process flow features, read our guide, Use XBert CONNECT's Process Status dashboard, Reporting Period Selector, filters and Team View to efficiently manage workflow